http://sukeyjumpmusic.com/plus/download.php?open=1 Subscribe on iTunes to Audio version or Video version or on Google Play
Topics in This Week’s Episode (44:50)
- Today my guest is Mitch Steele. Mitch is the Brewmaster and COO at New Realm Brewing in Atlanta and former Brewmaster at Stone. Mitch also wrote the book on IPAs called IPAs: Brewing Techniques and the Evolution of India Pale Ale (Amazon affiliate link). Mitch holds a degree in Fermentation Sciences from the University of California at Davis.
- We discuss Mitch’s new brewery “New Realm” which just launched in Atlanta.
- We start with a discussion of whole hops and how best to use them in brewing beer.
- Next we move on to pellet hops and discuss their advantages and disadvantages as well as how to best use them.
- Mitch shares his thoughts on working with wet hops (fresh hops off the bine) that have not been dried or processed and why its important to use them within about 24 hours.
- We discuss “cryohops” and luplin powders including how they are made and why they are best used in the whirlpool or dry hopping.
- Mitch talks about CO2 extracts, and how they are made and best used in the boil.
- We discuss isomerized extracts which can be added even to a finished beer to increase bitterness.
- Mitch explains traditional hop oils and how these can be used in brewing.
- He discusses steam distilled hop oils including his experience with “Hopzoil”
- We talk about aromatic hop oils and how many are now being isolated for use in brewing – i.e. you can get a single hop compound like myrcene.
- Mitch provides his closing thoughts on the proliferation of hop products and where they are going next.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Mitch Steele for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
buy Lyrica online from mexico iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: buy levitra india http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.