Topics in This Week’s Episode (51:58)
- Today my guest is Marshall Schott from Brulosophy.com. Marshall operates the Brulosophy web site which features 160 small experiments in brewing techniques and ingredients. He also joins me to talk about his new podcast, as well as new projects in “The Hop Chronicles” and “Short and Shoddy”.
- We start with a discussion of some of his recent “exbeeriments” in brewing – beginning with using a starter versus underpitching his yeast.
- Next we move on to “squeezing the bag” for brew-in-a-bag.
- We discuss first wort hops versus a boil hops, and loose vs bagged hops in brewing
- He shares some recent results regarding mash pH and its effects on beer flavor
- We talk about his ongoing series on beer fermentation temperatures
- And also his series on off flavors
- Marshall shares his thoughts on why so many of the experiments do come out “negative”
- We discuss one of his new projects called “The Hop Chronicles”
- Also his new ongoing series on poor brewing techniques called “Short and Shoddy”
- We also discuss his new podcast called the “Brulosophy podcast” available on his web site.
- Marshall closes with his closing thoughts after over 160 experiments
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Marshall Schott for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
get link iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.