This week Ron Pattinson joins me to discuss his new book called “Austerity!” about British brewing in the post World War II period from roughly 1945 through the 1960’s. Ron shares with us how breweries copied with many shortages in the post-war period.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (47:43)
- Today my guest is Ron Pattinson. Ron is a historical beer expert focused primarily on brewing in the British Isles. He is the author of some 30 books and also runs a daily blog called Shut Up About Barclay Perkins. His latest book is titled simply “Austerity!”.
- We start with a discussion of the many mini-books Ron has been working on these past few years about historical beer brewing.
- Ron explains the title for his newest book about post-WWII brewing called “Austerity!”
- He shares some of the trends in brewing and breweries in the austere period immediately after WWII.
- Ron explains how things changed as the British economy started to grow in the 50’s and 60’s.
- We discuss tax policy and how taxes can have a significant affect on brewing.
- Ron talks about the shortage of dollars which led to few imports and how beer production became almost entirely domestically sourced.
- We talk about some of the larger beer producers of the period.
- Ron shares what a typical English mild recipe might look like.
- We talk about ingredients including how few breweries had moved to single yeast strains, and many simply reused mixed yeast strains over and over again.
- Ron shares some of his thoughts on homebrew sized recipes provided in the book and his closing thoughts.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Ron Pattinson for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.