Topics in This Week’s Episode (54:57)
- Today my guest is Gordon Strong. Gordon is President of the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP), a three time Ninkasi award winner as top home brewer, the top rated beer judge in the world and also author of the books Brewing Better Beer and Modern Homebrew Recipes (both Amazon affiliate links).
- We start with a discussion about the new provisional beer styles including what a BJCP provisional beer style is?
- Gordon explains the three new styles, starting with the New England IPA style.
- We discuss the second provisional style which is Burton Ale – and captures an older version of Burton Pale Ale
- Gordon tells us about Catharina Sour, which originated in Brazil.
- We talk about the final new style which is New Zealand Pilsner.
- Gordon and I discuss how the BJCP style guide is now being used worldwide.
- We talk about his recent travels in South America as well as what type of beers are being brewed down there.
- Gordon provides his closing thoughts.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Gordon Strong for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
site here iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.