Topics in This Week’s Episode (49:36)
- Today my guest is John Holl, author of the new book Drink Beer, Think Beer (Amazon affiliate link). John is also senior editor at Craft Beer and Brewing magazine and author of The American Craft Beer Cookbook (Amazon affiliate links) as well as a beer judge.
- We discuss his work as editor at Craft Beer and Magazine as well as introduce his new book “Think Beer, Drink Beer”.
- John explains a bit of the history of the modern beer renaissance (craft beer revolution) and also how critical home brewing was to it.
- We talk about the role of big breweries and how the line between craft beer and big beer is increasingly blurred by the complex ownership relationships now.
- We discuss beer flavors and how flavor has a significant role in craft beer.
- I bring up the dominance of IPAs and we discuss whether it will continue to force other styles off the shelf.
- We discuss judging and tasting beer.
- John talks about some of the down sides of the craft beer revolution (shadows in beer).
- He explains how the way we enjoy beer in tasting rooms has evolved and contrasts that with beer at home.
- We talk about the “death of subtlety” in beer.
- John discusses the leveling off of growth in craft beer and how it may be part of the normal business cycle.
- He shares his closing thoughts.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to John Holl for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
enter iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.