Rick Theiner, maker of the Eco-Logic series of cleaners joins me this week to discuss cleaning and sanitation for beer brewing.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (47:41)
- Today my guest is Rick Theiner. Rick is the President of Logic, Inc, makers of the Eco-logic line of cleaning and sanitation products including One-step, Straight-A and San-Step.
- Rick explains the difference between cleaning and sanitation and why they are separate steps using different chemicals. He also explains the more stringent disinfecting and sterilizing terms.
- We discuss the cleaning process which removes dirt and biofilms and how the material/surface being cleaned makes a big difference.
- Rick tells us why the soil/biofilm types also matter and it often takes a different combination of chemicals and action to remove them all.
- We discuss the four basic elements of cleaning: Time, temperature, mechanical action and chemical action.
- Rick also explains the many different phsio-chemical reactions going on when we clean a surface.
- We talk about sanitizing agents and why they are different from cleaning agents.
- Rick provides his basic rules for cleaning for home brewers.
- Rick tells us why household cleaners may not be a great substitute for cleaners and sanitizers designed for home brewing.
- He walks us through the products his company offers including Straight-A, One-Step and San-Step NS and how each are best used.
- Thank you to our sponsor Craft Beer and Brewing Magazine for sponsoring this episode. I encourage you to subscribe to their great magazine!
- And also Anvil Brewing Equipment. Anvil is a new line of kettles, burners and accessories from John Blichmann at Blichmann Engineering. They make top quality brewing equipment built to last a lifetime.
- Also check out BeerSmith, BeerSmith Mobile software and the new DVDs John Palmer and I filmed – How to Brew with Malt Extract and How to Brew All Grain are available now. You can subscribe to the BeerSmith newsletter for free to get some great articles on home brewing.
Thanks to Rick Theiner for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all of my audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast)
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
- Audio podcast on Google Play here
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.